September 21, 2011

Apple Yogurt Cake



I've been dying for our apples to ripen and be ready for some major apple baking/cooking/eating action. I jumped the gun a little with these ones, since I think they weren't quite as ready as they could've been, but oh, they still tasted so, so delicious in this amazing cake I baked yesterday.


The recipe is an adaptation of another one I found on one of my favorite blogs called Cannelle et Vanille. This woman takes the most amazing and etherial pictures and makes me want to live in the Basque Country for the rest of my life. Or make this apple cake to devour at least once a week.

Originally the recipe uses a yogurt container as a measure, but since the one I had on hand wasn't exactly like the one mentioned, I ended up just using a 1/2 c measuring cup instead. So instead of 3 measures of flour, I used 1 1/2 cups of it. I had no problems with this switch and was very, very impressed by the cake. It was completely gone in just five hours, four of which I was home all by myself...


Apple Yogurt Cake

1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1 cup white sugar
4 whole eggs
1/2 cup light olive oil (or vegetable. I used canola)
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded (I used 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
Pinch of salt
Handful of chopped walnuts (optional)

3 medium apples
1 Tbs butter
2-3 Tbs white sugar

1. Butter and flour the inside of a bundt pan.
2. Slice one of the apples thinly. Heat the butter and 2 Tbs sugar in a pan. Add the slices of apple and cook for a minute on each side. The sugar doesn't have to caramelize. Let the slices cool slightly and then line the bottom of the bundt pan with them, overlapping slightly.
3. Dice the other apples and cook them in the remaining butter and sugar. Let them cool.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, oil, vanilla and cinnamon. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and mix. Fold in the chopped walnuts and sauteed apples.
5. Pour batter into pan and bake in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes or until done (test with a toothpick)

The cake is delicious on its own, but next time I may just serve it warm with some vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment