January 4, 2011

Banana Cream Pie


Here's another way I use my small quiche pans: They are perfect for making small banana cream pies! I used a new recipe for the shortbread crust, and my all time favorite recipe for the filling, which my brother introduced our family to over ten years ago.

A long time ago, after my very first break-up, I doubled this recipe and made it in a huge casserole dish. Then I ate half of it in one sitting. It made me feel good inside. Really, really good.



Banana Cream Pies

2 or 3 Bananas, sliced up
3/4 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cups milk
2 large eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 prepared pie crust (recipe below)

1. Mix sugar and cornstarch together. Add small 1 cup of milk and two eggs. Whisk together well. Heat rest of the milk in a sauce pan. Once hot, add egg mixture while whisking and stir constantly over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla extract and stir.
2. Place sliced bananas in cooled pie crust. Pour cream filling over bananas and chill pie in fridge for a few hours.

Shortbread Crust (from Allrecipes.com)

  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

  • 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  • 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Stir together flour and baking powder; blend into butter mixture. Pat into a 9 inch pie plate, or small individual tart pans.
  • 3. Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment