December 30, 2010

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche

Last August, for our Anniversary, D took me to Williams-Sonoma and let me pick a few items for my anniversary present.

This is what I found.


It was time to make some quiche! (I actually made this in September, just forgot to actually post it)


I baked the crusts,


poured in the egg mixture,


baked again until golden and puffy,


and then I ate four of them. 


There's something about little individual pies, tarts and quiches that makes one feel special and appreciated.

I felt four times more special that day.

By the way, I used the blind baking method for baking the crusts so they would keep their shape. I didn't have any pie baking beads so I just used some old lentils I found in my pantry.


Please excuse my old baking sheet. I like to tell myself that it looks rustic...

If you don't want to use individual pans, or don't have them, the recipe works just fine in a 9 1/2-inch deep dish pie plate.



Broccoli Cheddar Quiche (adapted from epicurious.com)

2 cups steamed broccoli
2 large garlic cloves, minced
6 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 half-and-half (I just used whole milk)
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt 
black pepper, to taste
1 prepared Pie crust (see below)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
2. Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, and seasonings. Add cheeses and broccoli and stir together.
3. Pour into baked pie crusts and bake until center is just set (40 to 50 minutes for a full pie, maybe around 20 minutes for individual ones. Just watch the quiche and take it out when golden and set). Let it cool at least for 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.


Double Pie Crust

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
6 Tbsp icy cold water

1. Mix flour and salt. Cut in shortening. Add COLD water (I put mine in the freezer to chill while I prepare other ingredients) one tablespoon at a time. Mix until dough holds together. Do NOT overmix. Let the dough chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes or more.
2. Roll out and place in desired pans. Be careful not to stretch dough when putting in pans to prevent shrinking. Chill pans in fridge for about 30 minutes.
3. Poke holes in crusts with a fork. Cover with aluminum foil or parchment paper (don't forget to cover edges!) and fill with dried beans, lentils, or ceramic baking beads. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 to 25 minutes, until edges are pale golden. Take out of oven and carefully remove beads and foil/paper. Bake uncovered for about 15 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven, and let cool for about 5 minutes.

I use this pie crust recipe for both savory and sweet pies. You can add seasonings or sugar, depending on the filling. I've only blind baked for the quiche, otherwise I just use the unbaked crust as usual.

This recipe makes around six to eight 4-inch quiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment