January 4, 2011

Suklaa Kola


During the holidays I like to cook and bake foods that remind me of my childhood Christmases in Finland. One of those recipes is for Suklaa Kola (Chocolate caramels). When I was little my sisters would make these and set the pan on the snowy steps of our back porch. I would sit and stare through the glass door at the sugary goodness, hoping this would help it cool faster.



The recipe calls for dark baking syrup and vanilla sugar. Both of these can be found at Ikea's Swedish food market section. Dark baking syrup gives the candy a unique flavor. But I am sure you can replace both of these with more common items, such as corn syrup and vanilla extract.


In the next picture I had lined my pan with greased wax paper. This wasn't a good idea since it still stuck to the candy and I had to cut the paper off with a knife. Just grease your pan well, and hopefully this will make it a bit easier to work with later.


Suklaa Kola

100 grams of melted butter
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
3 1/2 dL sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla sugar
1 dL dark baking syrup
2 dL whipping cream
2 Tbsp honey

Boil all the indgredients in a thick bottomed saucepan till mixture reaches 255 degrees (hard ball stage). Pour mixture in a greased 8x8 pan, let cool. Cut it in bite sized pieces and wrap in wax paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment