January 31, 2011

Lemon Bread


I found this recipe in a cookbook we received as a wedding present years ago. The book is called New Dieter's Cookbook by Better Homes and Gardens. My roommate got it for us, and no, she wasn't hinting anything.


Besides, I doubt this bread is any dieters friend when I make it. If you know me at all, you are aware that I like to use whole milk and butter whenever I can. That is how you make things taste amazing.

And this bread really is delicious. 

And if you must, I am pretty sure it'll taste pretty darn good when made with low fat milk and oil. But for the record, I prefer the fatty version.


Lemon Bread

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter, or cooking oil
2 tsps finely shredded lemon peel
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped almonds or walnuts (optional)

Glaze (optional)
lemon juice
powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan, set aside. In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In another bowl stir together the egg, milk, butter, lemon peel and lemon juice. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in nuts, if desired. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (I always bake it for 45 minutes or less). Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool completely. Meanwhile make the glaze by combining lemon juice and powdered sugar until you get your desired consistency. Drizzle glaze on top and let set before wrapping.

Best when wrapped and stored overnight, then sliced.


Who am I kidding? We have never had any left for storing overnight...

No comments:

Post a Comment