February 14, 2012

Brownie Roll-Out Cookies


After a very, very long hiatus, I'm starting to think about baking and blogging again. And since today is Valentine's I thought I would share these yummy cookies I made to celebrate this day of everything red, pink, heart-shaped and chocolatey


Brownie Roll-Out Cookies (from Smitten Kitchen)


3 cups all-purpose flour (I always end up using a bit less, maybe 2 1/2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa 

1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour.
2. Roll out cookie dough on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes, brushing extra deposits of flour off the top. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 8 to 11 minutes (the former for 1/8-inch thick cookies, the latter for 1/4-inch cookies) until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.


For the icing I used my standard cookie icing recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment