October 19, 2010

Homemade Oreos - Whoopie Pies


This is a recipe I got from a coworker of mine while I was finishing my internship at a local hospital's lab. He would bring them to work on Fridays and I would take some home and have them for breakfast on Saturday. Talking about healthy eating...

Homemade Oreos

2 pkg Devils Food Cake Mix (Betty Crocker)
1 1/2 cups shortening
4 eggs
2 Tbsp milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together. Roll into 1 inch balls, or smaller. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 9 minutes (I always bake for 9 minutes, no matter what. I really don't know what to tell you to look for when determining whether they're ready or not.) Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. Fill with cream cheese frosting, homemade or store-bought.

Cream Cheese Frosting

2 cups confectioner's sugar
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
milk

Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar until fluffly. If needed, add milk 1/2 Tbsp at a time to get desired consistency.

Note: I regularly half the cookie recipe and then just use half of the frosting. That way I'm not tempted to eat a whole bunch of these delicious cookies. Half a batch makes plenty for my husband and I, and a couple of our friends.

I have also flavored the filling with raspberry or orange extract after leaving the vanilla out. Then I dipped half of the cookie in chocolate candy coating and let it harden. But I warn you, one of these dipped cookies will take your blood sugar levels over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment