June 21, 2011

Strawberry Coffee Cake


...or raspberry, or maybe even blueberry coffee cake. In my case it was all three, a very berry coffee cake that stole my heart one Monday night.


I sometime wonder how I happen on these recipes. I browse on Allrecipes.com and something just pops up that screams 'Make me!' and all I can do is obey. In this case, it was a fabulous idea. This recipe is so simple but absolutely perfectly delicious that I wouldn't mind making this every chance I get.

Make sure though that you'll use fresh berries. The blueberries pictured were frozen, and there was another time I used frozen strawberries, and even with mixed flour the berries tend to make the cake soggy. So I will be sticking with fresh berries from now on. Also, you can double the recipe to make it in a 9x13 baking dish. The more the merrier!

Strawberry Coffee Cake (from Allrecipes.com)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries, tossed in a little bit of flour

Topping:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans


  • 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, milk and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with strawberries.
  • 2. For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in pecans if desired; sprinkle over strawberries.
  • 3. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares; serve warm.

  • Note: Sometimes I add a little bit of vanilla to the cake batter to give it a little extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment