June 13, 2010

Mint Chocolate Biscotti


I saw people making biscotti on TV. I thought about it for a day or two and I knew I had to make some. Otherwise there would be no peace for me.

Luckily there was a bag of Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips calling my name in our kitchen cupboard. 
I must use them!
I must make biscotti!
I must make Mint Chocolate Biscotti!

The peace has been restored!


Mint Chocolate Biscotti

1/3 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips

1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour, cocoa and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix in baking chips until well combined. 
4. Divide dough into two equal parts. Shape into 9x2x1 inch loaves on the parchment paper, 4 inches apart. (If the dough is sticky, wet your hands to shape it easier. Do not add more flour.) Brush with egg yolk/water mixture.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm. Let cool for 10 minutes. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees.
6. Use a serrated knife to carefully cut diagonal 1-inch slices. Place slices flat on their sides on a baking sheet (no paper). Bake for about 10 minutes on each side, or until dry. Watch so they don't burn. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

I used some melted leftover Andes chips to dip the biscotti in. Yum. 

If you feel like the biscotti burn or get too dry during the second bake, you can decrease the oven temperature to 250 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment